For PDprotec® (first filing in 2008), the lead product of Zytoprotec, patent protection exists in the following countries (year of grant in paranthesis):
- US (2018)
- Canada (2013)
- Japan (2013)
- all large/economically strong EU countries (2012)
- Switzerland (2012)
- United Kingdom (2012)
- Turkey (2012)
- Hong Kong (2013)
- USA (FDA) Orphan Drug Status (2017)
Most importantly, Zytoprotec recently filed two new patent applications for PDprotec® and has already received positive feedback from the European Patent Office: The Office confirmed in writing “newness” and “inventive step” – the two elements, which must be present for a patent to be granted.
- 2022: The so-called “Two-chamber Bag Patent”, which will protect Zytoprotec’s proprietory delivery system of PDprotec®, ie, the storage bags, tubes and connectors; technically it is a formulation patent, which – if granted, which is quite certain – gives Zytoprotec exclusivity not only in respect of the delivery system but also the PD fluid (PDprotec®) since the fluid can only be used in connection with the proprietory bag.
- 2023: The so-called “New Indication Patent”, which will protect for Zytoprotec the application of PDprotec® for patients who need to be protected against cardio-vascular complications (e.g., heart attack), which occur quite frequently in dialysis patients, by way of the recently discovered systemic, anti-inflammatory properties of PDprotec®.
Besides sugar- or glucose-based PD fluids, there are also PF fluids using icodextrin to remove toxins from the patient's blood. With ICOprotec®, Zytoprotec has also developed a dialysate belonging to the icodextrin group and using a specific additive, which stimulates the peritoneal cells to better protect themselves the harmful side-effects of this group of dialysates. ICOprotec® is ready to go into a clinical phase I study.
There is patent protection for ICOprotec® (application 2012) in the following countries (year of grant in brackets):
- US (2018)
- Japan (2017)
- all large/economically strong EU countries (2019)
- Switzerland (2019)
- United Kingdom (2019)
- Canada (2020)
- Turkey (2019)
- China (2019)
- Hong Kong (2020)
- Taiwan (2018)